Re: Connecting multiple fragment selectors with individual bodies

Hi Paolo, Lutz,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Paolo Ciccarese
<paolo.ciccarese@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Lutz,
> I tried to depict your example. I stripped out those details that I
> thought where not relevant in regards to what you call the
> 'meta-annotation' and I copied some n3 in the pictures to be brief.

Using Paolo's images, @Lutz, if you did not have oax:hasSemanticTag, how
would you related those two annotations? I think it is important to
understand the kind of relations you are dealing with. Do they come from a
controlled vocabulary? Do you want users to create a new annotation that
relates the other two? In the last case, how do you expect users to
"suggest"/"choose" relations?

> I am trying to interpret what you are doing but I am not sure on what you
> mean. Let me give you an example so you can tell me how close or far I am.
> I look at a resource and I create a general comment saying 'there are
> several typos'. Then I create some other annotations - what you call
> sub-annotations - that, for instance, are detailing all the typos in the
> document. All the sub-annotations point to a fragment of the document and
> also point to the general comment as you consider them parts of that.

In Paolo's example, would a relationship such as "exampleOf" or "subsetOf"
make sense? What is your use case for relating annotations?

> Is this similar to what you are trying to do? The use of
> oax:hasSemanticTag is certainly very far from what we created it for.
>
> Rob and Kevin, I am wondering if the oax:basedOn would work here. In other
> words I have a general comment 'there are several typos' and then through
> the relationship oax:basedOn I point to the sub-annotations that help me
> supporting the general comment.

@Paolo, what about this other scenario: I annotate a fragment of a document
with a note "aim" (note 1) and later another fragment with a note "result"
(note2). A relationship between them could be note2 supports/addresses note
1. In that particular case, I guess oax:basedOn would not work. So, could I
use a third annotation to establish that statement? It is more or less what
people do when reading and analyzing documents, you make some notes and
some times you relate them.

> Also, Lutz, I am not completely sure on your use of dctypes:Dataset. Could
> you tell me more about it?
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Lutz Suhrbier <l.suhrbier@bgbm.org>wrote:
>
>>  Hi Leyla and Paolo,
>>
>> please find attached the export of the very simple model from my
>> Annotation JUnit-Test in rdf-xml and N3.
>> It simply creates two types of Agents and Institutions, serving as
>> annotator and generator of a single "meta" annotation, which include a
>> single "sub" annotion which
>>
>> The annotation is about a source target with the URI
>> "urn:guid:BGBM:Bridel+Herbar:Bridel-1-12:1344860699609:http%3A%2F%
>> 2Fwww.tdwg.org%2Fschemas%2Fabcd%2F2.06".
>>
>> The "meta" - annotation URI is
>> urn:guid:bgbm:annosys:1344860701104:1344860701104.
>> The "sub"annotation outlining the XPath within the source target XML
>> document is urn:guid:bgbm:annosys:1344860701292:1344860701292, and uses the
>> hasSemantic Tag pointing at the enclosing "meta"-annotation.
>>
>> The specific Target describing the XML Element within source target is
>> urn:guid:bgbm:annosys:1344860701296:1344860701296.
>> Furthermore, I introduced a XPath selector called <oax:xpath>, which
>> simply includes an XPath expression to describe the XML element to be
>> annotated.
>> The body of each "sub" annotation (XML Element annotation) may comprise a
>> new value and/or a comment related to the annotated XML element.
>>
>> I hope, my explication is not too complicated. If you have any questions,
>> please come back to me.
>>
>> BTW. As I am quite new to RDF, what tool are you using to visualise all
>> the RDF graphs in your documentation ? Protegé ?
>>

> All the figures you see in the documentation are actually manually created
> with Omnigraffle.

I would also recommend CMaps.

Cheers,

Leyla