Re: Mandating SPARQL endpoint. NOT. Was: Re: Serialization spec in the OA core

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found it hard to separate the various concerns in my original post.
> But your response helps me do so;  :-)

:)

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> I agree that it's always possible to provide URI resolution via a
>> SPARQL endpoint, but we can't mandate the existence or use of SPARQL.

> I  think that what I wrote in no way mandates  the existence or use of
> a SPARQL endpoint.  It merely shows that there is always a way to
> construct a resolution and dereference using one.  In other words,
> \if/ an OA implementation always serializes as RDF---which is the
> recommended practice---then every URI can be made dereferencable and
> there is no reason to make a distinction between those that are
> deferenceable and those that are not.

Very true.  I meant to say that although it's possible to use a SPARQL
endpoint to resolve and thereby dereference an Annotation with an HTTP
URI that does not provide a serialization *directly* via its own HTTP
URI, we cannot require this approach.  We should, of course, make sure
that we're not doing anything to prevent it!

> By contrast  I believe the
> \spec/ presently says   that any implementation of the model, and any
> compliant OA processor, must  assume the existence and use of an HTTP
> protocol service!

Yes ... when the Annotation is identified by an HTTP URI.

And to short circuit slightly ... We could move section 2.4 and
section 6.4 into their own section 7 regarding protocols and
transports, separating the concerns more cleanly between data model
and implementation.

Rob