Re: Serialization spec in the OA core

Hi Bob,

>From my point of view, the restriction in 2.4 is to prevent situations
such as the URI for a web page being used as the identifier for
multiple annotations which are all expressed within it using RDFA, or
getting a huge dump of random stuff with one or more annotations
somewhere inside it.

Basically, if the identifier for an annotation is an HTTP URI, then
doing an HTTP GET on that URI MUST give that annotation's
serialization and no other annotations or content. This is simply
following the Linked Data guidelines.  It does should probably clarify
the use of fragments as allowed, for example
http://www.example.org/index.html#anno1 and #anno2 are different, but
both returned when dereferencing /index.html

I agree that it's always possible to provide URI resolution via a
SPARQL endpoint, but we can't mandate the existence or use of SPARQL.
I agree that according to the wording of RFC 3986, I am conflating
resolution and dereferencing in the current specification text.  If
you'd like to suggest a clearer way to express it, I'm happy to adjust
the wording :)

I also agree that a triplestore based implementation will almost
certainly not return exactly the same graph as was originally
ingested.  That's why we try to use the term "graph" rather than
making reference to the exact set of triples.  We don't want to be
overly prescriptive, but need to say something in order to have the
specification be useful.

Versioning and the dynamic nature of web resources is not something
that we've attempted to solve so far.  I think a separate thread about
this issue would be useful.

Hope that helps,

Rob