Re: Streamlining the OA Model

Dear Robert,

Am 01.08.2012 21:16, schrieb Robert Sanderson:
> To be clear, you know that this breaks the IETF restrictions on URI
> fragments, right?
> You can't just invent new fragment schemes for existing mime-types,
> they MUST be specified in the mime type registration document.
This is only for the retrieval actions. Specifying senses for URIs in
RDF and OWL is *allowed* and even *promoted*.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-fragID
Technical question: How come the MediaFragments are defined separately
from the mime type?
> This is only one reason we didn't go this way, but it's certainly a big one!
> Others include that URIs should be opaque
This is a design decision. There are two camps fighting over this for
years. Latest discussion was at Wikidata list, IIRC.
> , the opportunity (if not likelihood) for collision,
Well, in theory you might as well never use turing-complete languages.
How can you make sure your programs will stop in finite time?
> the query-ability
Another design decision. Personally, I would always favor less triples,
which can be expanded on demand to achieve query-ability. If you start
calculating number of triples produced by the current Open Annotation
Spec for part of speech tags, you will soon reach a very practical limit
on how much text you can handle.

I am not saying that Open Annotation did anything wrong. I am just
saying that it is not suitable for every use case, as is every
technology:
http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/13309166?startSlide=10

NIF and Open Annotation complement each other nicely.
Sebastian