Re: [open-linguistics] Re: ISO 639 URIs

Am .08.2020, 15:30 Uhr, schrieb Ronan Power <Ronan@translation.ie>:

> Hi, I wrote on this before to the group:
>
> I think it’s important to realise that ISO639-3 does indeed have its
> problems, not least of which is the “apparent” descriptor<>tag >mismatch
> as do the alternatives and variants, and it is confusing.

Yes, I think most linguists who work on non-major languages have
encountered such problems (if they tried to make the language explicit,
that is). Yet, for the moment, ISO 639 is extremely important in that it
is an inventory that is agreed upon. Despite its flaws, reaching agreement
on another system would be a massive undertaking, if possible at all.

> This really boils down to the creation and agreement of a source index
> of identifiers for languages, dialects, written languages and >scripts,
> of which to my knowledge no such system has yet been completed
> thoroughly.

The closest thing to that is Glottolog, and it does a good job on minority
languages, but not so much on historical languages.

Actually, one nice thing about BCP47 is that is allows to provide custom
language tags, and I recently found myself creating such language tags by
combining the closest BCP47 language tag with the actual Glottocode, e.g.,

"как бази"@av-x-ancu1238 for the Ancux dialect (Glottocode  ancu1238) of
Avar (ISO 639-3 ava, ISO 639-1 av)

but

"кокази"@av for "standard" Avar (Glottocode avar1256, ISO 639-3 ava, ISO
639-1 av)

And for languages for which no ISO 639 code can be found, (e.g., Okinawan,
because this is not a dialect of Japanese in Glottolog but a sibling
language in the Japonic language family), the placeholder tag "mis"
(uncoded) can used, i.e., mis-x-okin1244

This is nice insofar as this approach allows to provide a BCP47 code for
every Glottolog language variety without information loss (because we can
retrieve the ISO 639-3 code for every Glottolog languoid by finding the
closest parent node that has an ISO 639-3 code attached, and from there,
we can find the ISO 639-1 codes using SIL conversion tables or lexvo).

And not only does that approach use conventional BCP47 tags wherever
possible, but the custom extension with Glottolog yields actually valid
BCP47 tags, too (after -x- you can add whatever you like). Moreover, it is
possible to resolve this to a URI (because all Glottocodes do,
https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/ancu1238, and we can retrieve
the Glottocode for every ISO 639-3 code from Glottolog [and, via, SIL
conversion tables, from ISO 639-1 codes]).

The remaining difficulties are that
(a) Glottolog is far from perfect either [for historical languages, the
Glottolog classification tries to harmonize diachronic and synchronic
relations, and this does not always lead to a consistent result],
(b) this is a hack rather than a solution, because there is no formal way
to assert that the elements following -x- are Glottocodes in BCP47, and
(c) if we know that something is a Glottocode, we can *reconstruct* its
URI and browse the Glottolog classification, but there is no good way to
make this information explicit.

A nicer solution, therefore, would be to just link an entry with the URIs
for ISO language code, Glottocode and other metadata, so that all
information is explicit ;) Having standard URIs for ISO 639 tags would be
the first step.

Best,
Christian