Re: morph module telco today

Dear Christian,

I'm not proposing to parse strings using SWRL (as Wilcock tried to do; and
I understand why there wasn't much uptake for his idea at the time), only
to describe morphological patterns in a way that allows the generation of
morphological variants (word forms) of an entry (a far simpler task). The
rules for doing this in languages like Italian or French are fairly
straightforward, efficient enough to work on a reasonable sized lexicon (as
our work with the SIMPLE lexicon has shown), and the kinds of rules you get
(in this particular context) aren't really much harder to understand than
regular expressions, and in fact might even be easier to understand once
you have a basic grasp of how horn clauses are written in rule languages
(not that hard to come by). At the same time using SWRL ensures that we
produce human readable rules while remaining within the Semantic Web stack
and use pre existing technologies (SWRL functionality, including a
pre-installed rule enging is now bundled in as a feature with Protege).

However, I have the strong suspicion that the modelling of morphological
patterns via SWRL rules (in order to generate forms) will not be viable for
all languages (Semitic languages for instance, though I haven't actually
tried to model this myself, since I'm not really compent enough to do so)
so I am not putting it forward as a general purpose method for representing
intensional morphological descriptions . In fact I don't think there is one
solution, one silver bullet, here (in the sense of being both descriptive
and machine actionable while allowing us to remain within the whole
semantic web ecosystem). However, I think that whatever we come up with
should be as compatible as possible with approaches like the SWRL one
(which does work with a lot of languages but maybe not all) while at the
same time leaving open the possibility of using other approaches such as
finite state transducers in a more expressive logic programming language.
The LMF way of doing this was interesting, they started by making a
distinction between extensional and intensional morphological descriptions,
and then came up with their own formalism to represent such patterns
(represented as strings), these could then be later translated into other
machine actionable formats.

Cheers,
Fahad