Re: synsem module ready

Dear Fahad, all,

  John has answered at length your email and argued why model "C" is a
reasonable model. I am going to be pragmatic here: since three years we
are building the whole of ontolex around model "C" and at this stage we
can not change it anymore. My goal was to finalize discussions at this
stage, not to rethink core aspects of the model that would lead to
drastic changes. There has been a lot of chance to discuss such things,
and they have been discussed.

As John says, according to ontolex, the only meaning that ontolex
considers is modelled in the ontology as classes, properties etc.
Classical semantic arguments as known from semantic frames do not exist
for ontolex unless they are modelled in some ontology. If they are, then
there is no problem. We can use Semantic Frames and use these properies
as references.

I go into your comments in more detail below:

Kind regards and talk to you tomorrow,

Philipp.

Am 21.05.15 um 15:52 schrieb Fahad Khan:

> Hi everyone,
>

> Here are some points for discussion that I've come up with after a wee
> bit of discussion with Francesca. Firstly, I think that to avoid
> confusion, the Class Frame should be renamed Syntactic Frame, since
> the term "Frame" is used in a lot of different contexts -- and is to
> used to mean different things even just within Computational
> Linguistics -- and so it would pay to be about what it is that is
> being referred to in this case.

Renaming Frame to "Syntactic Frame" is indeed an option that we could
consider tomorrow.

> Also I feel it would be better to make a distinction between Syntactic
> and Semantic arguments by making them two distinct classes. There are
> so many instances where making this distinction is useful in lexical
> semantics that I think it’s worth the extra complexity to include it
> in the definition of Ontolex itself. For example by making this
> distinction we can easily describe verbal alternations such as occur
> with verbs such as "to give"as in "Alice gave the gift to Bob" and
> "Alice gave Bob the gift" where two different kinds of syntactic
> structure seem to map to the same semantic frame. Moreover, syntactic
> arguments are usually associated with syntactic markers or
> morphological markings, which is not the case with semantic arguments
> which are instead usually marked with different kinds of properties,
> e.g., semantic roles such as Agent or Theme. Additionally in
> morphologically rich languages like Latin there might not even be a
> fixed syntactic order to the arguments of a verb, whereas in terms of
> a predicative semantic representation the order of the arguments does
> matter. In other words we tend to associate syntactic and semantic
> arguments with different properties, properties which are usually
> included in lexico-semantic representations of lexical entries. ( see
> also
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_(linguistics)#Syntactic_vs._semantic_arguments
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_%28linguistics%29#Syntactic_vs._semantic_arguments>)

We will not introduce semantic roles into ontolex. This is out of the
realm and scope of ontolex. Such roles can be defined externally in any
ontology.

If you are proposing to introduce two subclasses: SemanticArgument and
SyntacticArgument of the class Argument, this could be considered indeed.

Alternations can be modelled without any problem with the current
version of ontolex. So "Alice gave the gift to Bob" and "Alice gave Bob
the gift" have the same "SemanticFrame" as meaning, but they map the
syntactic arguments differently to properties of the event "gave", i.e.
the properties giver, given and receiver or however the properties end
up being named in the ontology. If they are named agent, patient and
beneficiary its fine as well. This is out of the scope of the ontolex model.

The point in ontolex (Model C) is that we use the same identifier to
represent both the syntactic and semantic argument, but this is similar
to unification-based grammars where the semantic and syntactic
properties of an argument are expressed in the same feature structure.
We thus have one identifier that unifies the properties as syntactic
argument and as semantic argument. Not sure if it helps, but I can not
explain it better right now. John has also tried hard to explain....

> Synsem/Example 4 is unclear/a bad example since the phrase "opening
> film" can either be associated with a prepositional phrase argument
> headed by "in" (as in "the opening film in our programme tonight
> is...") or "of" (as in "the opening film of the Cannes film festival
> was terrible this year")  -- or even no prepositional phrase argument
> (as in "the opening film is terrible")  -- and so creating a lexical
> entry specifically based on "opening film at" seems inefficient (why
> create a separate lexical entry for each of the cases, and not
> associate an opening_film lexical entry with a number of prefered
> prepositions?). Maybe it would be better to have a simpler example of
> a relational noun like "brother" or "uncle" where the noun is strongly
> associated with a certain preposition  (in these examples the
> preposition  “of”) rather than a number of different prepositions,
> when it is expressing a related ontological Object Property.

You are right, this is the reason we should mark the syntactic arguments
for the preposition as optional, resulting in:

X is the opening film of/at/for Y => dbpedia:OpeningFilm(Y,X)

X is an opening film => exists Y dbpedia:OpeningFilm(Y,X)

X is an opening film with Z => exists Y dbpedia:(OpeningFilmY,X) &
starsIn(Z,X)

etc.

The marker could be anything btw, so we could also include a list of
prepositions. This is going to make the example a bit more complex, but
it would go into the line of your "preferred" prepositions. That would
be more compact I agree.

In general, however, meaning is quite dependent on the prepositions you use:

born on => birthdate

born in => birthplace

play with => playmate

play for => team

etc. etc.

> Also associating the concept Alma mater in Ex synsem/example5 with a
> lexical entry other than the lexical entry "alma mater" comes across
> as a little strange -- especially since it's not at all clear that the
> expression alma mater always and unproblematically refers to an
> institution that someone has graduated from (wikipedia, different
> dictionaries disagree on this) rather than just attended.

The property "alma mater" is defined in DBpedia as having domain Person
and range Educational Institution:

http://dbpedia.org/ontology/almaMater

It is used exactly to express at which educational institutions people
studied.

It would be however correct to change "graduated from" to "studied at"
as graduation is too strong here.

> Overall, these examples where an ontological concept is associated
> with a related lexical entry not because there’s a straightforward
> reference/extensional relation between them but because there is some
> kind of lexical entailment relation involved (e.g., the ontological
> concept refers to the result of the action described by a word/lexical
> entry) are problematic because they tend to make the "meaning" of
> ontolex:reference a bit obscure: do we use the reference relation to
> say that the extension of the word is such and such, or that a certain
> expression is often used in a language to refer to an important aspect
> of an event or a concept?

Yes, I am aware of this. But this is a problem of the ontologies we have
currently around, not of ontolex itself. You are right that many often
the concept we use can not be really said to be "denoted" by the lexical
entry in the strict sense. But the ontologies that are out there are the
ones we have to live with I fear. We could have "invented" new
ontologies for our purposes, but my personal goal has been to show how
ontolex can be used with existing ontologies.

> [...]
>
>         I would avoid a sequence of two "represents". Moreover, I
>         think that "with" should be "that".
>
>         In Example synsem/example3, there is again owl:subPropertyOf.
>
>         Also, In Example synsem/example4, there is again
>         owl:subPropertyOf.
>
>         In the section "Complex Senses / Semantic Frames", there is
>         the definition of synsem:subframe, while in the figure there
>         is the property synsem:subsense.
>
>         Just below Example synsem/example7, there is an example
>         involving the property father: the property should point to
>         the child; however, the name of the property suggests to me
>         that the object is the father (just in the same manner
>         skos:broader points to the broader of a given concept).
>
>         I think that Example synsem/example9  should be explained in
>         more detail.
>
>         I didn't find the definition of synsem:propertyDomain and
>         synsem:propertyRange; then, I realized that they were moved to
>         the core module. The diagram of the core module must be
>         updated to include these properties, as well as the diagram of
>         the synsem module to remove them.
>
>         I noticed that in the infobox providing the definition of
>         propertyRange and propertyDomain, the URI still uses the
>         synsem namespace instead of the core ontolex namespace.
>
>         Finally, I noticed a typo in the definition of
>         ontolex:LexicalEntry:
>         "The class lexical entry represents a unit of analysis of the
>         lexicon that consist of a set of forms that are grammatically
>         ... "
>
>         It should be "that consists" with an append "s".
>
>         Best Regards
>
>         Manuel Fiorelli

>         <cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
>         <mailto:cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>>:
>
>             Dear all,
>
>              I have been working on finalizing the synsem module,
>             please check:
>
>             https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Final_Model_Specification#Syntax_and_Semantics_.28synsem.29
>
>             The next telco to discuss the synsem module will be on
>             Friday the 22nd of Mai, 16:00 CET.
>
>             Please send me any issues to discuss or comments on the
>             synsem module by Thurday 21st of Mai at the very latest.
>
>             Thanks and best regards,
>
>             Philipp.
>
>             --
>             --
>             Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
>             AG Semantic Computing
>             Exzellenzcluster für Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)
>             Universität Bielefeld
>
>             Tel: +49 521 106 12249 <tel:%2B49%20521%20106%2012249>
>             Fax: +49 521 106 6560 <tel:%2B49%20521%20106%206560>
>             Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
>             <mailto:cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de>
>
>             Office CITEC-2.307
>             Universitätsstr. 21-25
>             33615 Bielefeld, NRW
>             Germany

Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
AG Semantic Computing
Exzellenzcluster für Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)

Fax: +49 521 106 6560