Re: synsem module ready

Hi,

I read through the spec and there are a few major issues I detected in the
first couple of sections sections (ontolex + synsem)

1. The definition of 'other form' still says '[Other form] should be ....
an abbreviation, short form or acronym'. This is incorrect and contradicts
the definition of lexical entry. Can we add an example clarifying the
representation of abbreviations?
2. ontolex/example10 now doesn't make any sense... 'bank' is just two words
each with a different meaning. Can we change this to a word with genuine
polysemy... I suggest 'troll' (1 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll>, 2
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll>).
3. ontolex/example17 doesn't really show a lot and for some reason refers
to IATE for 'cat'!? (this is probably my fault...). Could we switch it to
'spouse'/'marry' showing that these two lexical entries have two different
concepts but the same reference dbpedia:spouse
4. The definition of semantic frame is at best confusing, I really don't
think we need to bring Gestalt Theory into this as well. My attempt would
be:

*Semantic Frames* are the meaning of a word (and hence are also lexical
senses) but expressed by one or more ontological predicates and their
arguments. This sense of the word can only be understood when all of its
required arguments are realized.

Similarly we need to change subframe to

*Subframe *relates a complex semantic frame to frames for each of the
individual ontological predicates that form the complex semantic frame.

5. synsem/example5 and example6 are essentially the same as example4 but
they connect an eventive verb ('graduate' or 'die') with a consequential
fact ('almaMater' or 'deathYear'). This is of questionable soundness
although we have argued in papers it is valid when the event and the
consequence are in a strict bijection... still, I would prefer to drop this
for the spec as it adds a lot of unnecessary complexity.

There are a lot of other minor issues I will change directly in the spec.

Regards,
John

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Manuel Fiorelli <manuel.fiorelli@gmail.com