Re: synsem module

Dear Philip, all,
i've looked into the example and there are three main points that should be
looked into, from my part:

1) the synsemFrame here is one for sell and buy, as in Philipps first
example; following mine and Fahad's alternative example, could one also
represent two synsemFrame objects, one for sell and one for buy, linked to
the same ontological object? or would that force us to have two ontological
events too?

2) the synsemFrame is linked to the lexicalEntry, with (if im not mistaken)
no direct or indirect connection to the sense.  This feels a bit wrong to
me; when a verb has more than one sense, you want to be able to match
correctly; couldn't one make it a property of the sense instead?

3) the thematic roles are on the synbehavior. I think that, especially for
intransitive verbs one can think of cases where the subject may have
different roles (in one case agent and in the other something else, like
Force or Natural Cause, in some inventories). Intuitively, "John_agent
destroyed the house_patient" and "The avalanche_cause destroyed the
house_patient" have the same synbehavior, but  may correspond to a
different sense and a different ontological event, have different
selectional preferences and thematic role. How would one deal with this?
Generally speaking Thematic Roles are considered at the interface of syntax
and semantics rather than a syntactic phenomenon; hypothesis: couldn't they
somewhat be linked to the synsem:argBinding?

Hope I can be there this afternoon, otherwise i'll read you from the thread.

Cheers from Paris,
Francesca

> [...]
>>> given ontology. Our proposals differ in that I was attaching the
>>> SemanticFrames to the SyntacticBehaviour via the relation "semFrame", then
>>> linking the frame to the sense. However, we can of course link the "sense"
>>> to the Frame as you propose and then link the Frame to the corresponding
>>> syntactic behaviour. Both are fine from my side. If you think your
>>> modelling here is better, then I have no problem in endorsing it.
>>>
>>> 2) As John mentioned, our building assumption is that predicates per se
>>> are *only* in the ontology. In this sense, the first decision to make is
>>> whether sell and buy denote the same concept in the ontology (lemon and
>>> myself are agnostic in this respect, this is a conceptual decision to
>>> make). The different perspectives you mention could be modelled by the
>>> SemanticFrame class that I was proposing, with different mappings between
>>> syntactic and semantic arguments. Information about semantic roles can be
>>> attached as annotations, that's not a problem. Further, the ontolex model
>>> allows you to have two different senses for sell and buy that nevertheless
>>> link to the same ontological class/predicate.
>>>
>>> 3) Note that ontolex was used to interface a lexicon with a given
>>> (domain) ontology, not a linguistic ontology. Agent / Themes / Beneficiary
>>> are linguistic roles rather than roles/relations that would appear in a
>>> (domain) ontology. As John mentions we can attach these roles to the
>>> syntactic arguments without a problem.
>>>
>>> Let's discuss this further today. I will then try to create a new
>>> example that unifies both proposals, mine and Fahads.
>>>
>>> talk to you later,
>>>
>>> Philipp.
>>>
>>> Am 28.08.14 15:01, schrieb John P. McCrae:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> The question of whether to model buy and sell as a single event or as
>>> two events that entail each other is an interesting question in general,
>>> but it is a conceptual modelling issue, rather than a lexical issue. As
>>> long as the lexicon can capture how each entry interfaces with predicates
>>> defined in the ontology, such details of the lexical modelling should not
>>> matter. It is also unavoidable that when dealing with legacy resources,
>>> some work will be needed to harmonize with any defined OntoLex model.

>>> Such linguistic features can be captured by annotations on the arguments
>>> as required.

>>> As I said, the merging of the syntactic and semantic arguments as
>>> proposed by *lemon* is maximally efficient as it requires no extra
>>> triples, it also has several other advantages, most notably it is easier to
>>> query and work with.
>>>
>>>  Regards,
>>>  John

>>> --
>>> --
>>> Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano
>>> AG Semantic Computing
>>> Exzellenzcluster für Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)

>>> 33615 Bielefeld, NRW