Re: Lexicographic Data in Ontolex (Draft) for the telco of Friday, 10th of October, 15:00

Am 10.10.2014 15:00, schrieb Philipp Cimiano:
> Hi Thierry,
>
>  thanks for sharing this with us. A few comments:
Thanks for this Philipp. Answering to the comments below, sometimes with
further questions

> 1) I wonder why you do not use the original IDs of lexical entries in
> the URIs of the lexical entries you create. That would make it easier
> to identify the original source entry.

I was looking for having a way for getting really unique URLs. Having
two dialectal dictionaries in the same file could lead to the situation
that we have the same string representig two different entries. There
are also dictionaries that just repeat entries in case they have
different senses, etc. In my case I just added as a prefix the three
first letters of the name of the dictionaries, so that the link to the
original source entry is kind of ensured. And in general it can happen
the source entry contains characters that are no allowed in an URL.
If you refer here to the "numID" feature of one the original dictionary,
the authors told that they will delete this feature.

> 2) I wonder why you use ontolex:denotes instead of ontolex:sense. What
> you describe as range of ontolex:denotes seem to be senses rather than
> concepts with concrete examples of usage.

Right! I was not sure about this one. Just because ontolex:sense has
"LexicalSense" as its range. And it is my understanding that instances
of LexicalSense should have an ontolex:reference. But if this is not
"obligatory", I would for sure use ontolex:sense.

On the topic "LexicalConcept". In lexicography/dialectology there is an
approach called "concept-based" dictionary generation. People get a list
of "concepts" and go with this to certain region and ask inhabitants of
this region how they "serialize" this concept.

> 3) It seems that you have not modelled the translations relations in
> the data, so far, is that right or did I miss them?

True. My feeling was that the authors of the dictionary were not
encoding a "real" translation between two entries, but just encoding
senses introduced by words in different languages. I will check the work
by Jorge on this, as you suggested.

> 4) You use the ontolex namespace for your own URIs. That is wrong as
> they are not in the ontolex namespace. Please use your own (local)
> namespace there

Sure! We didn't have a name space from the dictionary owner. I will use
our own one then.

> 5)
>
> ontolex:sense_Sense_1_apc_eng_ahziye_001
>     rdf:type ontolex:SenseLexicon ;
>     rdfs:label "Zapatos"^^xsd:string ;
>     ontolex:language "es"^^xsd:string ;
> .
>
> This should be an ontolex:LexicalSense not an ontolex:SenseLexicon.
> The range of ontolex:sense is always an ontolex:LexicalSense

Oooops, put the wrong type here, thanks for pointing at this.

> In general, I think it would be good to follow the guidelines that
> Jorge has used in translating the Apertium lexica to lemon/ontolex
> RDF. It seems to be the same type of data so that similar principles
> should apply.

OK!

--

Thierry Declerck,
Senior Consultant at DFKI GmbH, Language Technology Lab

Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes