Re: LIME proposal for the OntoLex W3C Community Group

Dear all,

  ok, so we clarified that per se it is fine to include materialized
results of pre-defined SPARQL queries as new vocabulary elements.

So we are a step further guys ;-)

Whether or not we want to include properties related to linguistic
resource coverage is then the real point of discussion I think. So let's
focus on this point.

Other than that: maybe it is not so important whether the values can be
computed using SPARQL or we need some procedural component to compute
them (as in the lime Java API mentioned by Armando).

My point was rather: let's define what we mean exactly with these
properties by giving them an exact semantics. It is fine if this
semantics is made explicit. But the point is: if it is not the case that
all creators of lexica use the properties in the same way, then they
become sort of useless, see our recent discussion of the "confidence"
property to indicate confidence in a translation: it is quite useless if
people adopt a completely different interpretation of this value.

So rather than really having SPARQL Construct Statements for most
metadata properties, let's give precise semantics so that anyone could
compute the values of the properties consistently with this semantics.

Does this make sense?

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Philipp.

--

Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano

Phone: +49 521 106 12249
Fax: +49 521 106 12412
Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de

Forschungsbau Intelligente Systeme (FBIIS)
Raum 2.307
Universität Bielefeld
Inspiration 1
33619 Bielefeld