Re: LIME proposal for the OntoLex W3C Community Group

Hi,

Sorry, it seems that what I said was a bit unclear. I have no problem with
metadata properties that are also equivalent to SPARQL queries (In fact
even some of the things I proposed in the last email could be formulated as
SPARQL queries). My concern is more this current focus of this discussion
is about the idea of "language coverage" as described in the use case here
https://www.w3.org/community/ontolex/wiki/Specification_of_Use_Cases. In
particular, I have two main concerns

   - The actual SAOM negotiation can be done with SPARQL.
   - The idea of language coverage is too specific even for this use case.
   For example, this use case also covers something like below, that could be
   achieved without knowledge of 'language coverage':

*Merlin*: Hi, I’m Merlin the Wizard. I see you are a Genie, so i suppose we
can talk about magic*

*Djinni*: Oh yes, I like talking about magic. My reference ontology for
magic is: Xxxxx/magic.owl

*Merlin*: Erm…sorry, mine is: YYYYY/mana.owl

*Djinni*: Well, ok, what’s (are) your language(s)?

*Merlin*: actually I’m a good english speaker [ontology natively filled
with english terms]

*Djinni*: Mmm…I just speak arabian, and I’m able to express some of my
ideas in a very simple english [ :djinni_resource a lime:LexicalResource ;
lime:hasLexicon :djinni_lexicon_eng , :djinni_lexicon_ara . ]

*Merlin: *Do you know the words "mana", "spell" and "fireball"? [select *
from :djinni_lexicon_eng where { ?x ontolex:canonicalForm ?f . ?f
ontolex:writtenRep "mana"@eng }]

*Djinni*: Yes I do

*Merlin*: That is all I need to communicate.

OK, I stop with the wizards... but my point is, I am generally reluctant to
see *any vocabulary at all* included in the model. The case of language
coverage appears to me to introduce a lot of complexity (in the sense of
many vocabulary elements) for little gain (optimizing a single narrow part
of one use case that could be achieved by other means).

Regards,
John