Re: Comments on lime.owl

Dear Armando, John, Manuel, all,

  I am trying hard to follow the discussion without being lost in too
many details ;-)

Let me try to recap. I think we should forget for now about "Lexicon"
and "Lexicalization" and clarify what we mean really and then find a name.

So, I think we are talking about packaging an ontolex model into
different (logical) subsets.
This makes sense as one can attach different metadata to each of these
subdatasets, which is I think the key point we are after.

Now I find the question of "what triples belong where" difficult if not
impossible to answer. As John says a lexicon consists of many different
layers of entries, senses, references, forms. So how people will package
is quite arbitrary.

Answering the question what should go where is difficult thus I find as
there is no natural way to package the triples in a lexicon.

The reason why we want to package things is to have metadata at the
level of the complete resource (Lexicon as a collection of lex entries
and Lexicalization as a collection of senses).

In addition, we want to group parts of the lexicon that refer to a given
dataset/ontology to say something like how many references for this
given ontology are lexicalized in the lexicon; fair enough. Let's accept
this is important (which I agree actually)

So I think what we are looking for is somehting like a class
"SubsetOfLexiconRelevantReferringToAParticularOntology" as subclass of
void:Dataset and representing a slice of the overall dataset. For this
class we would have a property lime:dataset or lime:ontology (I propose
lime:vocabulary which is more neutral) that expresses the ontology in
question and would be functional, otherwise it makes no sense. We could
then attach the standard metadata properties capturing statistics to the
Lexicon as a whole, to the whole dataset (comprising possibly many
lexica) or to the subset lex / sense / ref triples with a particular
"ref". So SubsetOfLexiconRelevantReferringToAParticularOntology(o) as a
function would refer as a Dataset to all the lex / sense / ref triples
here ref is in o. Fair enough. We could have this class but never say
explicitly which triples belong to it, but keep it as some implicit
subset of the lexicon. This would allow us to make metadata statements
about all the sense / ref triples with ref \in o. Let me refer to these
tuples as (lex,sense,ref) for now.

The properties we want to have for the Dataset
SubsetOfLexiconRelevantReferringToAParticularOntology(o) are:

entries:  #{ lex : (lex,sense,ref) \in o}
senses:  #{ sense: (lex,sense,ref) \in o}
lexicalizations: # { (lex,ref) : (lex,sense,ref) \in o}
references # { ref : (lex,sense,ref) \ in o}

So a question to you all:

Is "SubsetOfLexiconRelevantForAParticularOntology" the kind of thing we
want to have to pick out that subset of the overall dataset that refers
to a given ontology?

If yes, we can discuss the name further, but we need to agree on the
concept.

The other issue is that we might have lexical resources that do not
introduce any lexical entries but only link lexical entries in one
resource to entities in some ontology, but do not contain any lexicon
nor lexical entries themselves.

Clearly, there might be hybrids in the general case, resources that both
link only but also introduce some lexical entries. This might be the
standard case.

So not sure if we want to specifically tag resources that *only* link
but do not introduce lexical entries nor lexica themselves. We can do it
and call these type of datasets: LemonLinkSet while we could call the
other ones simply "LemonDataset". If people feel this is important we
can certainly do it, but I do not yet see the added value that clearly.

Ok, so far so good. For me there is a clear picture emerging, but we
need to agree on it ;-)
The other things are minor details that will follow from our stance
towards the issues I mentioned above I think.

Best regards,

Philipp.

--

Prof. Dr. Philipp Cimiano

Phone: +49 521 106 12249
Fax: +49 521 106 12412
Mail: cimiano@cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de

Forschungsbau Intelligente Systeme (FBIIS)
Raum 2.307
Universität Bielefeld
Inspiration 1
33619 Bielefeld