Re: terminology decomposition and interpretation use case -- Re: Reminder: Telco this Friday, 3-4 pm (CET)

I'm guessing what you are looking for are patterns like in this paper
http://perso.limsi.fr/jacquemi/FTP/jacmin-ACL99.pdf [Table 1]

I have two main criticisms about this: firstly, it seems that these
patterns are few in number (per language) and not tied to particular
lexical entries, but rather are syntactic rules

Secondly, these rules are very unreliable... let's take your example

The rule from your example is approximately N1N2"s"N3 => N1N3 für N2

Firstly this could easily lead to incorrect inference... consider for
example

Dampfschifffahrtskapitän (Steam ship [trip] captain)

The rule would lead to

*Dampfkapitän für Schifffahrt (Steam captain for ship trips)

Or worse

*Dampfschiffkapitän für Fahrt (Steam ship captain for trips)

Furthermore, I don't believe that the reason for choosing this pattern to
apply has directly to do with inherent properties of the entry, for example

Archivierungsbundesgesetz = Bundesgesetz über die Archivierung  (Archiving
federal law = Federal law about archiving)

So it seems that Bundesgesetz can at least be used with either für or über

These leads me to another key problem... what are we (as OntoLex)
standardizing? I am not aware of any existing formats for representing term
variation patterns (unlike say lexico-semantic patterns or inflection
patterns), therefore it is possible that this could be original research
(albeit very interesting research) and hence not within the remit of this
group. Paul, perhaps you can assuage these fears with some more concrete
examples?

Regards,
John