From: Joshua Cornejo <josh@marketdata.md>
Sent: Thursday, February 29, 2024 12:14
To: Yassir Sellami <yassir.sellami@gaia-x.eu>
Cc: public-odrl@w3.org <public-odrl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: ODRL Profile using Verifiable Credential

I missed another one as I pressed send:

"ovc:leftOperand": "$.credentialSubject.gx:legalAddress.gx:countrySubdivisionCode",

I checked your repository: https://gitlab.com/gaia-x/lab/policy-reasoning/odrl-vc-profile/-/raw/main/ovc-1.ttl

I couldn’t find if that text in bold that you are defining descends from odrl:LeftOperand<https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-LeftOperand> ?

I also believe it overlaps/overrides odrl:leftOperand odrl:spatial<https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-spatial> ?

From: Joshua Cornejo <josh@marketdata.md>
Date: Thursday 29 February 2024 at 10:43
To: Yassir Sellami <yassir.sellami@gaia-x.eu>
Cc: "public-odrl@w3.org" <public-odrl@w3.org>

Hi Yassir,

      "assignee": {

        "ovc:constraint": [

          {

            "ovc:leftOperand": "$.credentialSubject.gx:legalAddress.gx:countrySubdivisionCode",

            "operator": "http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/in",

            "rightOperand": [

              "FR-HDF",

              "BE-BRU"

            ],

            "ovc:credentialSubjectType": "gx:LegalParticipant"

          }

        ]

      }

A couple of comments on the code:

  1.  Assignee

You’re defining an Offer (says nothing about mandatory Assignee – so I assume it could go there)

According to the definition<https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-assignee>: “The Party is the recipient of the Rule.”

In your example, you seem to be using it as a category/type. I had the same conceptual problem and it is something that I have on my “list” of questions for v3.0.

In my interpretation - it is possible that the term ‘Collection’ could be used orthogonally – to define a “collectionOf” where the origins allow for ‘basket categories’ that would filter down to apply constraints when you transform an Offer -> Agreement (in your case: you want to restrict to a physical location). And also “partOf”, where you have a consortium (e.g. Sony) with multiple organisational divisions of types (“collectionOf”) in different locations (to apply your constraint).

  1.  Operators

https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#constraintRelationalOperators

“in” is not an (active) operator, I think you are referring to:

http://www.w3.org/ns/odrl/2/isAnyOf

And a separate thought:

Having ISO 3166 as separate attributes/operands/elements for constraints will prove to be more convenient (if you are expecting third parties to consume your policies).

Regards,