RE: Profiles Best Practice - how to deal with sub-classes of Rule - open until 5 October

Renato,

thanks for your considerations.

For the call later today I collect there some issues we should be aware of in addition to what Renato points at below:

a. Reminder: at the ODRL teleconference in July this was raised: should we (the ODRL CG) open the door for rules which may be not a permission, prohibition or duty? May this violate the basic design of ODRL?
b. Re Option 1: does a sub-class of Permission, Prohibition or Duty inherit all rules of the parent class written down in the Information Model? Or can such a sub-class modify rules – this would help to integrate the need of creating Rule sub-classes with special rules, not only special properties.
c. On selecting option 1 or 2 in the Profile BP document, NOTE on https://w3c.github.io/odrl/profile-bp/#rule, considered below by Renato:
- Option 1 follows the basic design of the Golden Three, but the required disjoint statement cannot be applied to parent class(es).
- Option 2 has no issues with the requirement of defining new Rule sub-classes as disjoint with others, but it may override the focus of ODRL on permissions, prohibitions and duties.
d. Impact on the Profile BP:
- in general: If one of these options is selected for the Profile BP should it explicitly exclude the other option?
- selecting Option 1: the BP documents has to say “for sub-classes of Permission, Prohibition and Duty the requirement to defining it as disjoint with all other Rule classes does not apply to its parent class(es)”. And it has to clarify if beyond the data structure also the rules defined in the Information Model are inherited.
- selecting Option 2: it must include a clear rule: only Rule sub-classes very close to the Golden Three should be defined. (But this “very close” leaves some doors open …)

More at the teleconference in about 2 hours,

Michael