RE: Profile Best Practice document with alternative text about Policy and subclasses of Rule

Hi all,

I’ve edited the ODRL Profile Best Practice page as agreed at the call:

- basic approach: don’t change the ODRL Recommendation, and if required only minimal.

- people should be reminded to check if the existing Permission, Prohibition and Duty classes meet their needs

- if not: they should consider to define subclasses of Permission, Prohibition and Duty as this does not require to define a new Policy subclass

- if not, again: advise them to create new subclass(es) of Rule and a new subclass of Policy – and remind them of “one of permission, prohibition or obligation properties MUST be used”.

* See the edited Note of https://w3c.github.io/odrl/profile-bp/#rule
* And of https://w3c.github.io/odrl/profile-bp/#policy

BUT there may be still the need to change the Recommendation:

The Profile Mechanism ( <https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/#profile-mechanism> https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/#profile-mechanism) defines:

Additional Rule class: Create a subclass of the Rule class and define it as disjoint with all other Rule subclasses.

I think this “disjoint” requirement raises an issue: does creating a subclass of Permission/Prohibition/Duty (which are subclasses of Rule) require to meet this requirement?? (Formal detail: does “subclass of Rule” means only direct subclasses of Rule or also subclasses of subclasses or Rule.)

In other words: is it required to define a subclass of e.g. Permission as disjoint from Permission (I think this is formally impossible) ?

It this “define it as disjoint” does not work I suggest to modify this requirement in the Profile Mechanism – less impact on the ODRL Recommendation than changing the Information Model or the Vocabulary.

Would be great to hear views on that by RDF/OWL experts.

Thanks,

Michael