Re: ODRL Version 2.1 Final Draft Specifications – Last Call for Comments (due 16 FEB) [via ODRL Community Group]

On 1/19/15 9:03 AM, Mo McRoberts wrote:
> I’m open to the idea of trying to come up with a workflow which
> adds JSON-LD generation to the existing tooling (which generates
> RDF/XML and N-Triples serialisations of the ontology and examples
> from the source Turtle), although the biggest constraint is, as
> ever, time.
>
> M.

Hi Mo,

Thank you for your explanation; unfortunately I'm out of my depth in
attempting to understand all parts of it. I could research each of the
individual components and terms that you've used, but, as you mention,
there is the question of time -- my own projects are time-consuming
and largely tangential or orthogonal to this question. So perhaps I'm
doomed to not understand how JSON-LD and ODRL can work together (or
can't) until some future implementation occurs that makes this clear.

Or, perhaps it's still possible to clarify (for myself) the potential
cross-over point of JSON-LD and ODRL, without learning other
languages; maybe with an example?

So I'll try this:...

      1. Suppose I have a an HTML page, on which is listed a digital
work: 'Book A'.

      2. Suppose that I have inserted, into the HTML page, a JSON-LD
implementation of schema.org terms  to describe that HTML page,
including Book A's title, author, size and type of file, etc.

      3. Suppose I also want ODRL terms to be available from the page,
concerning Book A -- various rights and permissions.

      4. Suppose I want these ODRL terms to be searchable logically,
by machine, via the search engines, as part of JSON-LD (ie, as linked
data).

Then:
What is going to be required to be able to write the JSON-LD code in
such a way that it contains ODRL terms that can be part of a search
engine's reading of the JSON-LD?

My apologies, Mo, if the answer to this question is contained in what
you already said. If so, then I suppose my only option is to read more
about ontologies, serializations, RDF, XML, N-triples, tooling, and
Turtle. :-)

Steven Rowat

> On  2015-Jan-19, at 16:52, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/19/15 3:32 AM, W3C Community Development Team wrote:
>>> The W3C ODRL Community Group seeks feedback from the community
>>> on the Version 2.1 Final Draft specifications of the ODRL
>>> Policy Language:
>>
>>> ODRL Version 2.1 JSON Encoding
>>
>> Short form: Is JSON-LD also supported? (It's not mentioned on
>> that page ODRL 2.1 JSON Encoding page.)
>>
>> Background: Google and other search engines read JSON-LD, and
>> it's listed at schema.org alongside Microdata and RDF as a
>> tagging system for the general web. When I looked at the example
>> for tagging a 'Book' at schema.org, JSON-LD seemed to me to have
>> several advantages over Microdata and RDFa. Plus, the Credentials
>> Community group and the Web Payments Community group are basing
>> at least some of their work on JSON-LD.
>>
>> Google says here:
>> https://developers.google.com/webmasters/structured-data/schema-org

"JSON-LD is the newest and simplest markup format: it lets you embed a
block of JSON data inside a script tag anywhere in the HTML. Since the
data does not have to be interleaved with the user-visible text, it's
much easier to express nested data items [snip]...Google is in the
process of adding JSON-LD support to more markup-powered features."