Re: Educational purpose

Okay - humour me — I know I’ve danced around this a few times… but… who *is* defining it?

Surely somebody has to be specifying what ‘educational use’ means when they’re licensing their data, especially when multiple origin datasets point to the same statement but potentially mean quite different things?

(I’m ignoring the issues of mandatory exceptions here, they necessarily vary, but are quite well-defined, and it’s a given when interpreting any rights statement that mandatory exceptions must apply because by definition they do…)

I guess I’m really struggling to understand how a purpose URI (be it from ODRL, or CC, or some other well-known place) for this doesn’t do more harm than good, and so counter to the aims of <http://dp.la/info/about/projects/getting-it-right-on-rights/> in the first place?

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Chief Technical Architect - Archives & Digital Public Space,
Zone 2.12, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA.

Inside the BBC? My movements this week: http://neva.li/where-is-mo