RE: Proposal for new Common Vocab term: License

Renato,

As I understand it, under your proposal, the action “License” would be used
only to represent a situation in which an Assignor permits an Assignee to
act as an Assignor (Licensor).

In other words, the Assignee of a “License” action would be entitled to
grant rights to others, but would not be entitled to make use (copy, derive,
distribute, modify, etc) of the asset unless other Actions (copy, derive,
distribute, modify, etc) were also expressed to permit such usage by the
Assignee.  ODRL is in need of an action allowing for the expression of the
‘right to license’ (as differentiated from the ‘right to use’) and I
understand your proposal to satisfy that need.

It is possible that some users will misunderstand this License action to
represent the right to use the asset, rather than the right to act to permit
others to use the asset. This should be further disambiguated in the
comment.

I agree with Stuart that the use of the phrase “any use” might be
misconstrued.  I would like to retain the word “grant” or “granting” in the
definition if possible, as this assists in understanding the term.  Perhaps
this:

“The act of granting the right to use the asset.”

Respectfully
Jeff Sedlik