Re: Addressing Formal Objection for WebApps Charter

This is a follow-up to:

[a] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2021Sep/0005.html
Subject: [wbs] response to 'Call for Review: Web Applications Working
Group Charter'

Per permission given by Marcos Caceres, I am cc'ing this reply-all to
public-new-work.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 12:13 AM Marcos Caceres <marcosc@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Tantek,
>
> We would like to address the formal objections that were raised by Mozilla against the 2021 Web Apps Charter at [1].

To be clear, our objection was non-formal, per [a]:

"The reviewer's organization suggests changes to this Charter, but supports
the proposal whether or not the changes are adopted."

> We've sent a pull request to move the "Web Locks" spec to the main "Specifications" part of the Web Apps Charter:
> https://github.com/w3c/webappswg/pull/81
>
> You can view https://w3c.github.io/webappswg/charter/draft-charter-2021.html

Thank you.

> We also wanted to follow up on this part of Mozilla's objection:

"> > Following this requirement should be sufficient for this
rechartering process to drop Haptics & User-Agent Client Hints
specifications from this charter update, since they are a collection
of "new features", and both of them lack the support of "at least two
implementations".

> The Draft Charter states:
>
> > "Depending on the WICG progress, including interest from multiple implementers, the Group may also produce W3C Recommendations for the following documents:" [1]
>
> The purpose of having them listed in the WICG section is to avoid having to recharter in case we do eventually get backing from multiple implementers. We've had, for example, Cookie Store, Badging, and Web Share Target listed in the WICG section since last recharter (I think since 2019?). We've never moved things into the working group as they never got support from multiple implementers.
>
> It would be the same with Haptics & User-Agent Client Hints.
>
> So, given the Working Group's historical reliability on this matter: are you ok for us to keep list them? We basically want to avoid having to recharter in case we do want to add them in the next 2 years.
>
> Let us know!

We are satisfied with these changes, in particular the addition of the
condition requiring "interest from multiple implementers".

Furthermore, we’d like to see this kind of wording considered for
other WG charters that are written with the intention of adopting
incubated drafts.

With those changes, we consider our objections to the Web Applications
Working Group Charter resolved.

Thanks for your diligence and attention to details.

Tantek Çelik
Mozilla AC Representative

> Marcos and Xiaoqian
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/webappswg-2021/