Re: Getting help on DOM Test Suite?

On Mar 7, 2007, at 2:51 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

>> The self-hosted productions were never endorsed
>> by the DOM WG and the results were never fully compared to those run
>> using JSUnit.
>
> Could you comment a bit more on this? Is there any reason to think the
> self-hosted version may be less reliable than the JSUnit-based one, or
> is it simply that nobody had the time to make a proper comparison
> between these two test harness?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dom

The self-hosted production was done late in the lifetime on the DOM
Test Suite effort to try to address running the test on resource
limited browsers, but it was more of a experiment than a WG product
and did not have the same level of review.

The test documents (hc_staff.html and the like) are renamed and a few
elements added to produce the self-hosted file.  Most tests are not
sensitive to those modifications, but a few may be.  I think it is
likely that the the DOM L1 Core, L2 Core and L2 HTML have had all
those issues addressed for HTML (and maybe XHTML) in the CVS, but
other modules may not have been reviewed.

It might be interesting to compare the currently generated self-
hosted tests with the snapshot in the Webkit SVN.  I helped the
project incorporate the self-hosted tests into their build system
about 2 years ago, but have not followed any subsequent
modifications.  The WebKit variant of the self-hosted tests is
located in the LayoutTests/dom directory of their source tree and can
be checked out using:

svn checkout svn://anonsvn.opensource.apple.com/svn/webkit/trunk/
LayoutTests/dom WebKitTS

There are several places where the WebKit developers (appropriately)
chose compatibility with IE and Mozilla over compliance with the
recommendation (or at least the test suite interpretation of the
recommendation) and those decisions may be reflected in either the
expected results for the tests (the corresponding .txt file) or the
tests may have been modified.

There have been a few issues raised on the www-dom-ts@w3.org or www-