From: public-mw4d-request@w3.org [mailto:public-mw4d-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Gavin Landon
Sent: 13 July 2009 16:45
To: Lauri.K.Hirvonen@nokia.com
Cc: public-mw4d@w3.org
Subject: Re: Hello all

Thank you.  I have a question.  I was looking at this site and they
reference DeviceAtlas.  In the examples of using DeviceAtlas they show
all we pass is a UserAgent.   Based on my short experience, the headers
don't always tell you what the device is.

For example:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20)
Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.20

This User Agent did come from a HTC Touch phone, using SkyFire.   How
does DeviceAtlas handle this?   The only way I can think of handling
this is to know the name and header info for every company that does
this type of service.  As you well know that would be a maintenance
nightmare.