Re: Semantically enhanced SVG (proposal)

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the links.

The SMAWS demo at
http://sidewaysskullfinger.com/SMAWS_20/SMAWS_20.html
looks very like the Verovio demo at
http://www.verovio.org/midi.xhtml

As I said, I don't really understand how the Verovio demo works, but
suspect that something very similar is going on under the hood.

_________________
SMAWS
I've read the intro at
https://musescore.org/en/node/84576
scanned through the thread at
https://musescore.org/en/node/61746
and taken a (fairly quick) look at the (well documented) code for the demo.

SMAWS links playback of an mp3 file to the SVG via timestamps stored in
a WebVTT file and both id and custom data- attributes attached to event
symbols (called "notes") in the SVG.

It uses native HTML (<audio><track>) playback, which means that accurate
synchronisation is a problem.

_________________
WebVTT (the Web Video Text Tracks format)

This is not actually a W3C draft standard. The "Status of this document" at
https://w3c.github.io/webvtt/
makes that very clear:
> It is not a W3C Standard nor is it on the W3C Standards Track.

The WebVTT document is itself interesting. Its the kind of thing that
the W3C Music Notation CG might eventually publish. Its not really
important that we create a W3C standard.

WebVTT's "main use is for marking up external text track resources in
connection with the HTML <track> element", so it can obviously store
sequences of timestamps that can trigger arbitrary events. But I think
it is bound also to include redundant text pointers when used to trigger
changes in the SVG display.
I think we need something simpler, and that accurate synchronisation is
always going to be a problem in HTML.

Bear in mind that semantically enhanced SVG files could also be used by
non-browser applications, so we ought to go for maximum accuracy. I
think garbage collection interruptions may always be a problem when
playing large scores in browsers. Maybe I'm wrong.

_________________
Musescore's SVG output (Qt)

I see from the thread at
https://musescore.org/en/node/61746
that musescore uses a Qt SVG generator:
https://www.qt.io/
This is a general purpose library, used by many applications, musical
and otherwise.

I think it should be possible to create a (non-commercial) solution that
replaces the Qt library and includes (musical) semantic info.That
solution could either be built on top of something that is more
generally useful, or be a standard library for use only by music
notation applications.

I'm really looking for a solution that works for _all_ notations, but
MEI/Verovio seems to be a very good place to start, so I'm going to
continue this thread on the MEI list:
mei-l@lists.uni-paderborn.de

Best,
James