Re: Shorter and longer term agendas

I am an academic specializing in 16th-century music and I'm also a web
designer.  I prefer MEI to MusicXML for four reasons:

   - MEI emphasizes semantic representation (a weakness of MusicXML that
   has been noted by the previous posters) and therefore lends itself to the
   differentiation of semantic data and display information (like the
   distinction between HTML and CSS; a model that many commenters have
   supported and that I also strongly support).
   - MusicXML is limited to Common Western Notation whereas MEI supports
   other notation systems, making it suitable for both commercial and academic
   purposes and making it more appropriate as an international standard.
   - MEI supports almost all of the functionality that MusicXML supports
   and more.
   - MusicXML is proprietary, MEI is open-source.

That said, I do think there is value in honing MusicXML and I will be happy
to contribute to that work if that is the determination of the group.

I support the continued development and adoption of SMuFL, but I have no
particular tasks/goals in mind.

Sienna M. Wood
Ph.D. Candidate & Graduate Instructor in Musicology
University of Colorado at Boulder