Re: Use Cases

Dear Joe,

This looks really great! I have three comments/suggestions:
1. Can users act in a number of Roles simultaneously? I think they can, and
I suggest we state this explicitly.
2. Perhaps we should introduce the user role Learner.
3. An additional use case for addressing/referencing music notation.

*1. User roles - in general*
I think it would be important to clarify that users can act in a number of
Roles simultaneously. Performing musicians during preparation, especially
individual preparation, can take the role of a Learner and/or Musicologist.
On other occasion they require different use cases. For instance they want
to* "hear an audio rendition of the music being displayed
[Performer/Learner]" *and "*distinguish editorial inferences from assured,
explicit information in a manuscript [Musicologist]" *while they are
working on their own interpretation, but they also also want to "*synchronize
a live performance with sheet music[Performer]" *during a performance.

There are other role intersections such as the one between
Composer/Editor/Engraver/Publisher or between Performer/Editor. When a
"composer" wants to* specify positioning of notational elements for visual
clarity (distinct from musical semantics), *they really are taking on an
editor's or engraver's hat. I think the recognition that these overlaps
exist between user roles is of vital importance.

*2. User roles - in particular*
The following use cases, it seems to me, are associated with a learner role
rather than directly related to performance. Just like a professional
player, a music student also may want:
*- "to hear an audio rendition of the music being displayed"*
- "*to** have their performance of some music assessed with respect to the
score as a reference"*
It may make sense to define a role called Learner. I have not attempted to
fully define all sue cases for this role, but if others also think this is
a valid role, I am sure there we will find a number of use cases (either
already proposed, but currently associated with other roles, or new ones).

*3. Additional use case*
*[User] wants to address and reference a selection of musical text within a
notation document.*
I am not entirely sure under which heading this should go, since it is
related to the a number of other proposed use cases, such as
 - "highlight" use cases in the "Arbitrary apps" section,
 - *"cross-reference readings or interpretations with their source
material, in this document or elsewhere." *

Best
Zoltan

--
www.tido-music.com

Tido Enterprise GmbH (Amtsgericht Leipzig, HRB 29529), Talstrasse 10, 04103
Leipzig, Germany. Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail including any
attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have
received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and
unauthorized use, distribution, copying or alteration of this e-mail and
any attachments is strictly forbidden.