Re: its:span and withinText

Would I be correct that the main advantage of using its:span is that
they can be more easily stripped out after the completion of a process
that inserts ITS markup at a segment level, e.g. translation followed by QA?

This seems an  important use case to me. Otherwise when it comes to
removing ITS markup that is no longer required, it becomes difficult to
differentiate spans added by an ITS-aware process from pre-existing
spans to which ITS attributes were added.

Should there be some mentioned therefore of its use in the spec, say in
section where the its-span element is defined:
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#selection-local

cheers,
Dave