Re: idValue issues

2012/10/14 Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org>

> On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 12:47 +0200, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> >

> > 2012/10/13 Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org>
> >         So although all the *Pointer attributes are defined to be
> >         relative
> >         location paths, I think we just end up getting a string value
> >         from
> >         the pointed-to nodes for everything except targetPointer.
> >

> > No -
> >
> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#EX-locNotePointer-attribute-1
> > here you get the complete notes element
> > <notes>Indicates that the resource file {0} could not be
> > loaded.</notes>
> > since the XPath expression of the pointer attribute is ../notes
> > you would get several "notes" elements, if available.
>
> Right, but what do implementations actually *do* with that information?
> I convert each pointed-to node to a string and serialize that into a PO
> file. Does anybody else do something that doesn't involve stringifying?

If the node pointes to a loc Note that has some inline markup, e.g.

translation</p>

I think it is crucial not to do stringifying.

> Plus, these attributes tend to be defined with language like "contains
> a relative selector pointing to a node that holds..." A node, singular.
> What am I supposed to do if langPointer returns two nodes?

What do you do if the XPath expression in the "selector" attribute selects
nothing? With XPath or any selector mechanisms there are always cases that
don't make sense. And these cases depend both on the XPath expressions and
the content. But that's a different issue IMO than the stringification of
the relative location paths. You won't win be forcing the stringification.

--
Felix Sasaki
DFKI / W3C Fellow