Re: targetPointer Requirement update

Hi Yves,
Thanks for posting this, I was really unclear on what the use case was
here. However, this explanation does make me think the use case is out
of scope for ITS 2.0.  because:

i) ITS is focussed on markup for web content, but i don't see files
containing both source and target as a major class of web documents. Is
there some web/CMS platform or application domain where this comes up a lot?

ii) There are already standard file formats, i.e. XLIFF, TMX, that
support this. As the use case post admits,
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/okapitools/message/2672, not using
these is not best practice. So it doesn't seem in scope to develop a
standard solution for something that isn't best practice or in general
is needed solely to support issues in proprietary formats.

iii) we are interested in the roundtrip mapping between files with ITS
markup and files that handle source and target element for use in the
localsiaiton process. However, trying to consider this for the main
existing standard, XLIFF, is challenging enough. Considering this for
proprietary file with the same text in multiple languages could be a
major expansion of scope, and even determining that scope could be a
major task.

I'd be keen to hear your view on this,

thanks,
Dave