Re: XPath Version

On 2.5.2012 0:59, Shaun McCance wrote:

> You can have ITS 1.0 rules interpreted differently by two different
> ITS 1.0 processors, because one of them chooses to exercise the "or
> its successor" clause of ITS 1.0.

So are we talking about ITS 2.0 or "fixing" ITS 1.0?

> My understanding (from a cursory reading) is that you must apply the
> schema if available to create the PSVI, which applies types to nodes.

No. If there is no schema, XDM is built without any type information,
see http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#const-infoset

> There are certainly XPath 2.0 implementations out there, but there
> are a number of prominent XML libraries that still don't support it,
> such as libxml2

I think that there was some project aiming to adding XPath support to
libxml2, but I don't recall it's status now.

> and lxml, and I think the XPath implementations in
> both WebKit and Gecko.

For browsers you can use JS based implementation.

> Of course, the world can't stop and wait for a few tools. But using
> XPath 2.0 could nonetheless hurt adoption, particularly among online
> content management systems built in Python, PHP, or Ruby.

To my knowledge all those languages can use external C libraries and
thus using something like Zorba to support XPath 2.0 is perfectly possible:

http://www.zorba-xquery.com/

IMHO, we should target ITS 2.0 for technology of year 2000, not for
technology of 2013.

    Jirka