Re: idValue requirement updated

Hi Yves,
I think you are right about me thinking more along the lines of XLIFF id
rather than XLIFF resname, but perhaps not exactly in the way you
characterise it.

I am thinking in terms of an id that can be used to track the progress
of a specific segment in the content documents (lets park the use of
multi-segement translation unit in XLIFF for the moment) against the
corresponding XLIFF id.  However, I'm specifically concerned with the
round trip use cases where the document may pass from a CMS to an XLIFF
cycle and back again several times. The use cases I see for this are
driven by the need for more continuous translation, pipelined at the
granularity of the segment rather than the document, rather than once
off hand-overs of documents between processes. Possible use cases might be:

1) a document is having its source revised and is being translated at
the same time. Readiness of different elements is signalled in the
document using the readiness/processTrigger data category, which is
monitored by an LSP which provide updates of segments to be translated
based on these flags and distributes translations using XLIFF.
Consistent mapping between all segements and xliff translation unit ids
is required to ensure that new, modified and deleted trans-units are
correctly updated and kept in sequence.

2) Translations from one LSP may be undergoing monolingual review
through direct access to the target on the CMS, while selected
bi-lingual translation review is being conducted in parallel by another
LSP. Feedback from both reviews may need to be routed back to the
translating LSP, so document element-to-XLIFF mappings would be need to
be reliably maintained for the two sets of XLIFF ids  operated by two
different LSPs.

In these sort of use cases, where their is ongoing round-tripping
between the CMS and TMS/XLIFF, then the need for consistent mapping
between the source document on the CMS and the versions LSPs have, may
soften the assumption that clients won't be willing to add additional
elements to the document on the CMS. One can imagine that any augmented
versions of the content documents would live on a 'staging' CMS while it
is subject to preparation, translation and review, but prior to publication.

So, this implies a need for an id that is indeed relevant just to the
localization process, but that never-the-less needs to support a
persistent mapping between CMS element and trans-unit ID, potentially
over several CMS-TMS roundtrips. The difference to resname as I
understand it, is that resname is optional and in a sense best effort -
if you can't map a trans-unit back to a particular element in the
source, you can still try and translate the string, you just loose some
contextual info. So it doesn't have the requirement to comprehensively
*maintain a mapping between all *trans-units and  source content
elements in the way I think the above use cases require.

Hope that explains the requirement I had in mind a bit more clearly.

Finally, I'm not sure in any of these cases we are talking about an
explicit id data category are we?

Would the implementation in fact be rules for generating and maintaining
the mapping between source elements and XLIFF ids. Very speculatively,
these could be expressed as some cascading rules for using: 1st)
existing ids if present; 2nd) combo rules of ID and element names as
your the updated text; 3rd) if allowed new id in existing elements; 4th)
if allowed new elements with specific ids; 5th) some sort of external
hashing pointer (e.g.
http://nlp2rdf.org/nif-1-0#toc-nif-recipe-context-hash-based-uris) ;
6th) some sort of character count-based pointer (e.g.
http://nlp2rdf.org/nif-1-0#toc-nif-recipe-offset-based-uris).  It would
be a ruleset applicable to the document that we would need to record.

cheers,
Dave