RE: [Issue-70] Defined order of precedence missing inherited local values [Action-437]

Hi Felix, I was looking at Chase's example.

> *Section 5.5*
> The defined order of precedence includes (from highest to lowest
> priority):
>
>   * non-inherited local markup
>   * global selections in document via a rules element
>   * data category defaults
>
> This list seems to be missing inherited local markup.  Thus, the
> following structure is ambiguous:
>   <xml>
>     <its:rules>
>       <its:translateRule selector="//bar" translate="no" />
>     </its:rules>
>     <foo its:translate="yes">
>       <bar>Is this translatable?</bar>
>     </foo>
>   </xml>
>
> The <bar> element inherits a non-local "yes" value for its:translate,
> but is also subject to a "no" value via the global rule.  Which takes
> precedence?  As implementors, our instinct  is that the inherited
> local markup ("yes") has precedence, and the text is translatable.
>  However, this does not seem clear from the specification.

Here's a suggestion for the addition to 5.5 between "global selections" and "data category defaults". It should clarify the example if I'm not mistaken. Note though, he says "his instinct is that inherited local markup has precedence over global explicit rules" and this is currently not the case which might confuse other people. The more common case being <html translate=no> not overriding existing global rules on specific elements.

3.   Inheritance from a parent element node according to data category specific inheritance rules (inheritance<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#datacategories-defaults-etc>). ITS information is inherited from the closest parent itself selected via ITS markup or global rules. If said parent is selected via both explicit local ITS markup and global rules, the local ITS markup has precedence in the inheritance.

Cheers,

Fredrik