Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

On 18/07/2016 09:47, Alastair Campbell wrote:
> Patrick H. wrote:
>>  No if the touch interface relied on detecting swipes, it would fail
>>  proposed 2.1 since it can't be operated using all non-pointer interfaces
>>  (adding keyboard events would allow traditional keyboard controls, but
>>  wouldn't do anything for touch+AT scenario)
>
> Ah, so a finger isn’t a pointing device? ;-)

Once you're using touch+AT, the fact that you're using a finger is
irrelevant. That's a characteristic of the input mechanism. It's the AT
that's interpreting the finger/touch. What the *content* sees are not
touches, but high-level events (yes, touch events ARE fired for
compatibility reasons, as are mouse events, but when using touch+AT the
user is NOT "pointing" at x/y coordinates on the screen - barring
touch-to-explore, which is more of a fallback navigation mechanism)