Re: Should we drop any WCAG 2 SCs in 2.1?

​>​
I am not that concerned about “bloat” – the requirements are the
requirements are the requirements. The web as a platform has grown
significantly more complex and sophisticated over the 8+ years since the
original WCAG 2.0, and overall the developer’s toolbox has also grown
exponentially. I don’t think it is unreasonable to then expect that
accessibility requirements have also expanded in direct relationship to the
level of complexity introduced by today’s modern web development
practices...I’d suggest that filtering could be performed on web sites
and/or within tools, as already demonstrated in the WCAG Quickref – I don’t
think we need to worry about quantity as much as we need to ensure we have
the right number: not too many, but not too few.

That is actually my feeling also...  We may at some point want to think
about establishing filtering criteria that would show a list of SCs without
WCAG 2 stuff that we (almost) never fail people on anymore.

We can take this back to the mobile task force as another opinion in
response to the concern about SC bloat.  I don't want to combine new
proposed SCs and old WCAG2 SC (e.g. 2.1.1 and 2.5.1) to make fewer SCs,
UNLESS all the requirements of the new SC can be understood fairly easily
and we don't loose anything from the old SC after they are combined.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*
Tel:  613.235.4902