Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

>> If we added ALL, the "accessibility supported" part would take care of
new AT that behaves in a sane, accessibility supported way? Also, I think
it would be a GOOD thing that this is future proof and includes new AT (as
long as it's accessibility supported per
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html#uc-accessibility-support-head)
?

I think we ran into that issue when we were tr
​y​
ing to formulat
​e​
2.5.1
​. Say you and me decide to go into business. We create the "David and
Patrick magic hand gesture translator."​ It is assistive technology.
"Accessibility supported" language is intended to require pages to work
with assistive technology. This is not web content so WCAG no requirements
on it. HOWEVER, it is assistive technology, and therefore if 2.1.1 applies
to ALL non-pointer technologies, then it would have to include this too.
That is a very expansive rabbit hole I would say. Go to CSUN and 2.1.1
would require web pages to work with EVERY Assitive Technology.

​We addressed this in our 2.5.1 proposal ​

"​2.5.1 ​
Touch with Assistive Technology: All functions available by touch are still
available by touch after platform assistive technology that remaps touch
gestures is turned on. (Level A)
​"​

The qualifier is that it is limited to "
platform assistive technology that remaps touch gestures"
​.

Now as we try to genericize ​the mobile requirements, to try to apply to
all touch environments, we have a problem, because many on Windows
platforms, the main AT is not delivered with the platform, it is purchased
separated (ZoomText, JAWS, Read & Write Gold, etc...). So how do we
characterize mainstream technology without forcing developers to support
the "D&P magic hand gesture translator" and every other Ma & Pop AT out
there.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*