Re: Proposal: expanding/modifying Guideline 2.1 and its SCs (2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3) to cover Touch+AT

On 04/07/2016 18:21, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> HI Patrick
>
> I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the*Keyboard
> Interface* provision.
>
> Also the importance of   *OR   *vs   *AND*
>
> let me see if I can make it clearer below.
>

> Hint
>
> the key bit from below is
>

>             /*I*//t is not about “non-pointer”/.       That is the trap
>             that this all falls into.   It is
>             about /* Non-input-technique specific.    *  /

I know that. In fact, that's exactly what I was trying to explain to you
in our last exchange about "keystroke", if you recall.

>             /
>             *Pointing*  - is technique specific
>             so is *Swiping*
>             so are *keyboards*
>
>             but *keyboard interfaces* are not technique specific
>             All of the following are supported by *keyboard interface *
>
>               * sip and puff
>               * brain wave
>               * eye gaze
>               * keyboard of any size
>               * speech recognition
>               * all of the things you are trying to add above (which are
>                 all possible if the device supports keyboard interface
>                 access)
>               * (and swipe is too - if all swipes have a keyboard
>                 equivalent)

And here's where I think YOU are misunderstanding. Because when I use,
say, VoiceOver on iOS and I swipe left/right, the browser's focus is
moved BUT no "fake" TAB/SHIFT+TAB or fake CURSOR LEFT/RIGHT key even is
sent. It does not emulate a keyboard, it simply moves the focus.

The same is also true for certain other interaction modes, like speech
recognition when instead of "press TAB, press TAB" etc the user actually
says which button/control they want to activate...the AT does not fire a
series of faked keyboard events, but instead simply moves the focus to
that particular control and then fires the click event.

So, having said all this, you seem to be saying that as far as you're
concerned, the current WCAG 2.0 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3 already
implicitly cover touch+AT (swipes) etc? Well in that case, my change
should be fine since I'm only making it more explicit, no?