Re: Rough draft of some success criteria for a extension guideline "Touch accessible"

> On Aug 18, 2015, at 11:44 AM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> I would be uncomfortable with punting the gesture issue and just rely on keyboard, just because its hard to solve.

I’m not sure I follow, David.   How is it hard to solve.  This seems much easier to solve than figuring out how to provide access to people who cant make gestures using gestures.    Or are we leaving them out of the discussion because they are covered some other way then keyboard interface?

> I've tested several apps for large corporations where they worked fine with VO off, but with VO on large parts of the functionality didn't work.

Again I’m  not following.    Clearly if that is true then the app is inaccessible to people who are blind - and to others who use VO    with and without speech.

So we are not saying that it should be declared accessible even if not usable by people who are blind and also people who can’t use gestures (or even those who can’t do some of the gestures needed)?

> For me, it's not really "mobile" if it can't be done while on the move, if there is a requirement for a keyboard. You have to find a table, sit down, and treat the device like a laptop.

Keyboard interface does not mean they are using a keyboard.    Keyboard interface can allow access with sip and puff morse code,  with eye gaze,  with speech,   with any alternate keyboard plug in,  with an augmentative communication aid — the list goes on and on  (oh and also keyboards,  pocket keyboards, back of the wrist keyboards, etc.)

> It's early days of mobile AT and its the wild west. But let's try to put our heads together and find a solution that:
>
> - allows users of mobile AT get the information while standing, while on a moving bus, etc...
> -that puts some requirements on authors, but not crazy ones
> -that helps set in motion a convergence of AT for mobile on functionality etc…

Yep  and the ONLY way that works across disabilities is Keyboard Interface.    It allows any modality from speech to gesture to eye gaze to morse code etc to be used.  No other technique does.  And gesture is outside of the range of many users.

(Keyboard interface for input - is kind of like TEXT for output.   It is the universal method that supports all different physical/sensory input modalities — like text provides the ability to present in any sensory modality)

Gestures should be thought of like mice.   Very powerful and fast for those that can use them.   But should never be the only way to control something.