Re: Subset Data Model

On 13/08/2012 23:25, Murray Maloney wrote:
> My existing XML 1.0 tools will be able to read uXML files. A future
> generation of uXML tools may hiccup on raw XML 1.0, especially if
> resorts to DTDs and entities.

Yes but David's (valid) point is that is a _bad_ thing if the only thing
you are guaranteed is the syntax.

If

<a b="x"/>

is well formed xml and micro-xml but

if parsed with xml parser generates an empty element with attribute b
with value x

and

if parsed with a micro-xml parser produces the element x with text content b

then the fact that I can develop a micro-xml application and someone
with only an xml parser can parse the file is not clearly a good thing.
It might be better to use a different syntax and get a fatal error if
you parse it with an xml parser.

Of course the xml 1.0 spec on its own says nothing much about the data
model and this is on the whole a good thing, but you need _something_ at
the level of data-model (or infoset) (or something) if you want to say
micro-xml has any relationship at all to XML.

David