Re: statistics on bandwidth use of protocols

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Dave Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> At 15:33  +1100 13/11/08, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I came across the report by Sandvine this week:
>> http://www.sandvine.com/news/global_broadband_trends.asp .
>>
>> It details upstream and downstream bandwidth use and essentially says
>> that upstream, p2p has a 61% share (there's no web media downstream),
>> while downstream Web Media has a 15.7% share and p2p a 22.31% share.
>>
>> This gives us a nice background on the relvance of protocols, e.g.
>> VoIP only has 5.38% share in upstream and is gathered among others in
>> downstream.
>>
>> There is a problem with the report though. It shows how much bandwidth
>> is used by the protocols. But it doesn't show how many users use these
>> protocols. Since p2p is most often used for large files, I am assuming
>> that the number of users of p2p is massively smaller than the number
>> of users of Web media. And streaming seems to not make much impact at
>> all.
>>
>> Anyway - I thought it's a good statistic to share.
>>

> I think part of the problem is that the structure of firewalls, NAT
> gateways, and so on, encourages many uses to 'hide' inside HTTP.  For
> example, all of the trailers on the Apple trailers site are HTTP loaded.  Do
> they count as general web or multimedia?  Or is all that bundled into web
> media?

Hi Dave,

I think if it is video over HTTP, it is counted as web media. But I am
not sure how they did it. Maybe they just decided for a few web sites
that provide video that all their traffic is web media.

What I am more concerned about is really where rtsp stands. I have no
feeling for how common it still is today.