Re: Should we enable pre-view images for gUM?

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:06:14 +1100
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
Cc: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>
On 28 January 2016 at 09:23, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
> My opinion is that if such a feature is *already* feasible within each
> web application then it is not needed as a browser built-in feature.

But it isn't feasible.  Unless you are making some presumptions about
the access control that don't hold in the general case.

I haven't done this, and it's not likely that I'll get to it in the
short term, but I believe that this feature can be accomplished almost
trivially with a little SVG programming.  An SVG should be able to
show video, or audio level meters.  And I think that I can address all
of Harald's concerns with some other small tweaks.

Maybe I need to do some work and come back with a demonstration.