Re: Should we enable pre-view images for gUM?

On 28/01/16 05:07, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 28 January 2016 at 09:23, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
>> My opinion is that if such a feature is *already* feasible within each
>> web application then it is not needed as a browser built-in feature.
>
> But it isn't feasible.  Unless you are making some presumptions about
> the access control that don't hold in the general case.
>
> I haven't done this, and it's not likely that I'll get to it in the
> short term, but I believe that this feature can be accomplished almost
> trivially with a little SVG programming.  An SVG should be able to
> show video, or audio level meters.  And I think that I can address all
> of Harald's concerns with some other small tweaks.
>
> Maybe I need to do some work and come back with a demonstration.

That would be interesting to see!

But, my main concern is that it not clear what issue(s) it would solve.
For example, the filer of Issue 304 [1] indicated that this kind of
pre-view would not address the core of that issue.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-main/issues/304