Re: Filtering of enumerateDevices() results

Den 21. mai 2015 04:53, skrev Jan-Ivar Bruaroey:
> On 5/19/15 10:29 AM, Joe Berkovitz wrote:
>> 2. How would the WG feel about including more "filtered" information
>> in the MediaDeviceInfos returned by enumerateDevices(), other than the
>> device label
>
> I'm going to take a stab at guessing that the original intent with
> 'label' was for web-devs to look up the info they care about themselves.

The original intent with "label" was to enable web-devs to present a
device picker interface that was no worse than what one could do in
browser chrome.

The engineers who built this have a great deal of experience with just
how hard it is to say something sensible about a device - presenting the
USB device IDs (for things that present themselves as USB devices) is a
lot more precise than labels, but not very user friendly.

> E.g. label == " Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920" -> look in table of what I
> care about scraped from
> http://wiki.oz9aec.net/index.php/Logitech_HD_Pro_Webcam_C920
>
> I.e. an end-run around workgroups and browsers having to formalize every
> spec sheet known to humankind.
>
> I should say I see evidence this isn't always working so well, e.g.
> android phones seem to give nonsense labels like "Camera front", and I
> see a lot of microphones called "Built-in microphone" or "".

There are a lot of nonsense labels around, yes. This reflects directly
the state of play in device drivers.

> How about a compromise like 'modelNumber', or maybe come up with better
> rules for label?
>
> Also from a practical standpoint, not every platform is chock full of
> info here. OSX for example seems surprisingly tight-lipped about its
> hardware.

Which is the reason for the phenomenon you describe above.