Re: Strawman Promises consensus position, based on Thursday's telechat

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:
> Adam's message covers my position on this issue well. The fact that the
> existing getUserMedia API is prefixed doesn't mean we can just ignore the
> existing uses of it.

That is in fact how most WGs and user agents treated prefixes. WebRTC
is still using them, but for everything else we stopped this practice:
https://hsivonen.fi/vendor-prefixes/ That is not to say that we should
follow past practice for prefixed features here, but I think it
explains some of the mismatch.

> I think we're talking about a paragraph of text that shows how the existing
> API can thunk to the new API, so I don't really understand why this so
> controversial.

What is controversial at this point are two things:

1) Unprefixing a known-bad-API
2) Not willing to deprecate said known-bad-API

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/