Re: Our error-handling is broken (Re: Promise slides)

On 02/10/2014 2:15 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Conveniently, we already agreed months ago that in WebRTC and gUM,
> error callbacks are used for all runtime error reporting and exceptions
> are used *solely* for programming errors (i.e., the kind of thing that
> would
> be a good candidate for compile-time failures and/or asserts in other
> languages). Thus, this argument about exceptions is largely irrelevant,
> leaving us with an argument about the relative aesthetic merits of
> callback chains versus promises.

Hi Eric,

A few months ago I thought this strategy made sense. Having used
Promises for the past year I now believe that all exceptions (including
those associated with programming errors) should get returned by the
callbacks/promises.

Exceptions thrown outside the callback/promise won't get caught by
developers (who are lazy and won't bother catching exceptions in two
different places). If all exceptions were tunneled over
callbacks/promises, then unknown exceptions would typically get logged
or otherwise presented to the user to pass on to the developer.

Gili