Re: Conclusions from the constraints spec review

On 2014-02-11 17:47, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> On 2/11/14 7:02 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
>> On 2014-02-11 10:51, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>> In my message "More thoughts on Constraints, and a proposal", I
>>> described some objections to the Constraints abstraction being used
>>> anywhere, including getUserMedia.
>> You did, and there was a couple of "+1" responses.
>
> But no real counter-arguments.

To be fair, people have expressed the opinion that they like the current
solution better.

>> But given the how long Constraints has been in the document, and how
>> many times we've iterated over it, and how many that are silent, I think
>> there is no consensus for replacing Constraints.
>
> If silence means no, then one might ask why we have constraints in the
> first place.

My view is that we discussed Constraints over and over a long time ago,
and eventually ended up with the current design. That was not silence,
it was a discussion. And Constraints to me is the baseline; it has been
in the document for a very long time.

> I would be careful to interpret silence as anything but indifference,
> perhaps to the whole constraints pattern. I don't think most people care
> enough to bother until it affects them.

It becomes very difficult to make progress if we, in situation when we
have had one design discussed and agreed to a long time ago, being in
the draft for a long time, can't consider it as the baseline.

If there comes an alternative proposal along in that situation, I think
the natural thing is to consider silence as not supporting to change to
the new proposal.

I also think that there are one implementation of (at least a limited
one) Constraints constraints, and there is some experience from app
developers using it.

> I piped in once I tried to implement it. Roc became vocal when he saw
> what it would do to the MediaRecorder api. I think that is natural.
>
>> The merits of making a separate interface of it can be debated, but that
>> is a separate question we can conclude later when we know more of its
>> applicability in other specs IMO.
>
> Is that a vote to fold Constrainable back into gUM in the interim?

Constrainable *is* in gUM - it is only written up in a way that makes it
re-usable for other specs.