Re: Conclusions from the constraints spec review

On 2/11/14 7:02 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> On 2014-02-11 10:51, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> In my message "More thoughts on Constraints, and a proposal", I
>> described some objections to the Constraints abstraction being used
>> anywhere, including getUserMedia.
> You did, and there was a couple of "+1" responses.

But no real counter-arguments.

> But given the how long Constraints has been in the document, and how
> many times we've iterated over it, and how many that are silent, I think
> there is no consensus for replacing Constraints.

If silence means no, then one might ask why we have constraints in the
first place.

I would be careful to interpret silence as anything but indifference,
perhaps to the whole constraints pattern. I don't think most people care
enough to bother until it affects them.

I piped in once I tried to implement it. Roc became vocal when he saw
what it would do to the MediaRecorder api. I think that is natural.

> The merits of making a separate interface of it can be debated, but that
> is a separate question we can conclude later when we know more of its
> applicability in other specs IMO.

Is that a vote to fold Constrainable back into gUM in the interim?

.: Jan-Ivar :.