Re: Screen sharing

On 04/24/2014 09:57 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 24 April 2014 12:15, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>> Something doesn't make sense here. If Alice is really sharing a specific
>> application, no other processes cannot overlap its painting area. On the
>> other hand, if Alice is sharing her entire desktop, I'd expect Bob to see
>> the contents of the IM.
>
> Aside from the double negative here, I think that you are confusing
> two separate things.
>
> In the whole-screen sharing context, yes, everything is seen, warts and all.
>
> In the application sharing context, that application is all that is
> shared.  If something causes that application to be occluded, the
> occluded area needs to be either frozen or greyed.  To show the thing
> that is doing the occluding is an over-share, which violates user
> expectations.  To continue to show the occluded content means that
> there is something that is shared that the user is unaware of,
> violating another expectation.
>
> This is talking about the latter.
Actually tab-sharing (the kind you do from a browser with Chromecast)
does show the occluded content, so we have a product example of sharing
that will not have this issue - but it's a different kind of sharing
than "share what's on the user's screen in this particular application's
window".

I'd suggest that this is actually more useful, and what we should say
that "application" source is intended to be, but might have to carry the
caveat that "some applications, some of the time, wil be unable to
present screen content that is not also shown on the user's screen -
this will lead to parts of the image being frozen or greyed-out".