Re: Proposal for output device selection

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:23:07 +1200
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
Cc: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>, Harald Alvestrand <hta@google.com>, Victoria Kirst <vrk@google.com>, Tommy Widenflycht (ᛏᚮᛘᛘᚤ) <tommyw@google.com>, Tommi Gunnarsson <tommi@google.com>
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:

> I agree. While I like the notion of priority in the channels design, where
> call audio will cause other sounds to have their volume reduced, I would
> still like to be able to control the actual output device directly in the
> application, so that it can do things like play audio out of speakers but
> switch if a certain preferred headset is connected.

I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where that sort of thing is
better controlled by the application than by the UA.

I can certainly see the case for the UA remembering application-specific
settings --- and that works fine with the logical channels approach. I
cannot yet see the case for each application having its own UI for this.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*