Re: Proposal for output device selection

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:44:26 -0700
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, "public-media-capture@w3.org" <public-media-capture@w3.org>, Harald Alvestrand <hta@google.com>, Victoria Kirst <vrk@google.com>, Tommy Widenflycht (ᛏᚮᛘᛘᚤ) <tommyw@google.com>, Tommi Gunnarsson <tommi@google.com>
On 15 August 2013 15:23, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where that sort of thing is
> better controlled by the application than by the UA.

You obviously haven't used Chrome WebRTC with an audio setup like what
I have here: two sets of headphones (only one with a mic), speakers on
the laptop, speakers on a large monitor, and an occasional USB
speakerphone-type device.  Under Windows, you can specify separate
devices for "normal" use and "communications" use, which helps a
little, but still causes some strange audio output behaviour.

Generic controls don't work for all application usages, despite the
best intentions of the generic implementation.  That's why Skype
manages its own preferences.  Having some sort of control over this,
even if it is just to ensure that choices are sticky over time for the
same application, makes a lot of sense.