Re: How to check if permission denied?

On 2012-11-27 19:17, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 27 November 2012 09:49, Stefan Håkansson LK
> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
>>> getUserMedia provides an error callback.  There is, however, no
>>> error for "no device".  That needs to be fixed.
>>
>> On surface it seems that this definitely needs fixing. But the
>> original reason for no specific error code was AFAIK to avoid
>> finger printing
>
> I considered that.  You could decide that all errors are reported
> the same way to avoid this sort of problem.  You could also decide
> not to provide a callback in case of any error.  That doesn't work
> out very well from a user experience perspective.
>
> I think that we have to resign ourselves to the fact that some
> expansion of the browser fingerprinting surface is an inevitable
> consequence of adding features.  Personally, I'm OK with this much
> information leaking in light of the advantages this feature
> provides. Others could reach a different conclusion.

I am a bit frustrated about this situation. We could hide almost
everything from the application to leak very little (but not get the
best user experience), or we could expose a lot of data to the app and
leak at lot (but get a better user experience). Then you hear two
extremes to guide the decisions: leak as little as ever possible; or
this is a lost battle anyway so don't bother. Sigh.